Breast cancer is the most common form of cancer diagnosed in women and the first cause of cancer death among them. October month is considered the international fight against breast cancer, awareness of the growing number of young women diagnosed with this condition.
Although the exact cause is unknown, according to the researchers, breast cancer risk can be significantly reduced through several methods. Here are some recommendations given by The Telegraph that can help you avoid this disease.
- Quit smoking. This rule is part of the largest breast cancer prevention, say experts. Recent studies have shown that nicotine in cigarettes may encourage the growth of breast tumors. Researchers found that women who smoked for 10 years a pack of cigarettes per day, breast cancer risk is up to 60%.
- Breastfeeding your baby. Breastfeeding is another method that protects women from breast cancer development and that due to declining estrogen levels, hormones believed to be involved in the development of mammary tumors. Also, another hypothesis offered by scientists is that breastfeeding increases the resistance of cells from the breast.
- Pregnancy before age 35. The birth of a child before age 35 reduces breast cancer risk, say experts. One study showed that women who give birth before 20 years reduced by almost half the risk of breast cancer than those who had no children or giving birth after age 35. One of the explanations offered by researchers is that during pregnancy, breast cells are mature, which protect them.
- Limit alcohol consumption. A recent study suggested that one glass of wine a day increases breast cancer risk by 12%. Researchers argue that the risk increases with alcohol consumption.
- 30 minutes of physical activity. That is the recommendation of doctors. Studies have shown that physical activity plays an important role in preventing breast cancer.
- Beware of pounds ! Maintaining a healthy weight is important at any age. Studies have linked obesity with an increased risk of breast cancer.
- Eat healthy. Reduce the amount of fat consumed. Studies have shown a decreased risk of breast cancer in women who have a diet low in fat.
- Test yourself ! Breast cancer, like other cancers is completely curable if diagnosed and treated in time. Any anomaly seized during those monthly self-examination should bring the patient to the emergency medical specialist.